BALANCED, EFFECTIVE & MADE FROM THE BEST
Our sixth collaboration with custom knife shop Ferrum Forge, the Dao (which means “knife” in Chinese) is balanced, streamlined, and effective—like any good cutting tool should be. It features the same premium materials found in other Ferrum Forge knives, including an S35VN blade, titanium handle, and an ambidextrous titanium pocket clip. The blade shape is a modified sheepsfoot that’s similar to the Buc, but now with a downward-sloping tip for balance. Even with less weight at the tip, the knife opens with little effort applied on the flipper tab. The Dao’s low-profile flipper tab makes it easier to carry and less aggressive in appearance. Once open, a titanium frame lock secures the blade.
LOW-PROFILE FLIPPER & STRATEGIC JIMPING
Measuring 7.6 inches overall, the Dao is fit for anything from cutting rope and twine to piercing cardboard to slicing an apple. It’s also nice and thick for tasks that require more effort. The base of the blade has a sizeable choil, which is designed for ease of sharpening, but can also be used to choke up on the knife for detail work. A long, flat spine makes a nice resting place for a thumb when you need more control. Also notable is the ridged backspacer, which facilitates a sure hold for any style of grip. For an extra challenge, try opening the knife from the backside with a middle finger using the hole in the blade.
A CLOSER LOOK AT S35VN STEEL
Developed by Crucible Industries (one of the leading manufacturers of specialty steels for the cutlery industry) and Chris Reeve (pioneer of the integral frame lock, featured on the Gent), S35VN is perhaps the most balanced blade steel ever created in terms of all-around performance. It’s made through a process known as Crucible Powdered Metallurgy, which results in near perfect consistency in the distribution of carbides. Compared to conventional melting practices, the CPM process produces a steel characterized by superior dimensional stability, grindability, and toughness.
ABOUT FERRUM FORGE
Founded in 2009, Ferrum Forge started from humble beginnings in Elliot Williamson’s garage in Southern California. Using found pieces of steel like old files and leaf springs, Elliot gradually taught himself the art of knifemaking and metallurgy. As his skills and passion grew, so too did the demand for his work. Luckily, Elliot’s brother Chris joined the team in 2012 to help expand Ferrum Forge to what it is today: a small operation dedicated to designing and producing custom knives through a rigorous process of development, machining, iteration, and quality control.
- Designed by Ferrum Forge Knife Works
- Produced by Massdrop
- Manufactured by WE Knife
- Country of Origin: China
- Blade steel: S35VN stainless steel
- Blade profile: Modified sheepsfoot
- Blade grind: Flat saber
- Finish: Satin
- Handle: Titanium
- Handle finish: Anodized (Aqua and Sand) and stonewashed (all)
- Open mechanism: Flipper tab or finger hole
- Lock: Frame lock with lockbar insert
- Pivot: Caged bearings
- Milled titanium pocket clip for ambidextrous tip-up carry
- Blade thickness (at spine): 0.158 in (4 mm)
- Blade thickness (at apex): 0.4 mm
- Handle thickness: 0.5 in (1.2 cm)
- Blade length: 3.4 in (8.6 cm)
- Closed length: 4.3 in (10.8 cm)
- Overall length: 7.6 in (19.3 cm)
- Weight (original): 3.4 oz (97 g)
- Weight (Circuit Board): 3.3 oz (94 g)
- Weight (Tech Saber): 3.4 oz (95.5 g)
- Microfiber cloth
- Warranty: WE Knives lifetime materials and workmanship guarantee via Massdrop