FEATURES & SPECS
- Ultra 200 fabric in gravel grey
- Heavy duty polyester knit mesh
- YKK AquaGuard zippers
- Unrolled height:
Small: 31″ / 79 cm
Medium: 33″ / 84 cm
Large: 35″ / 89 cm
- Top circumference: 36″ / 91 cm
- Bottom circumference: 31″ / 78 cm
- Complete backpack: Small: 770 g / 27.1oz
- The frame (100 g / 3.5 oz) and backpad (15 g / 0.5 oz)
are included in the above weights but are removable.
Medium: 790 g / 27.8 oz
Large: 810 g / 28.5 oz
- Ultra 200 fabric is extremely durable and lightweight (3.5oz/yd)
- Inverted U frame of 8mm hollow aluminum for vertical and horizontal structure
- Load lifters for optimal load transfer
- Ergonomic S shaped shoulder straps
- Ergonomic dual reverse pull hipbelt
- Y-Shaped top strap for bear canister
- Hipbelt pockets are high capacity with one handed operation
- Shoulder strap pockets are optimized for quick access to phone and bear spray
- QuickPocket on the side allows access to larger items while on the move
- Front pocket with durable mesh allows access to large items
- Seams are fully double stitched and seam bound
- High quality construction from same factory as Arcteryx
- Small: 14.5 – 17.5″ / 37 – 45 cm
Generally fits people 5'8" and under
- Medium: 16.5 – 19.5″/ 42 – 50 cm Generally fits people 5'7" - 6'0"
- Large: 19 – 22″ / 46 – 55 cm Generally fits people 5'11" and up
- Hipbelt is a single size that fits 28″ – 42″ waists
Note: Backpack sizing can vary depending on body type and wear preferences. Above size recommendations are generalizations and will not apply to everyone.
Check out some common questions:
The Kakwa 40 has a genuine 40L of internal volume, not counting what is provided by the exterior pockets. That interior volume does vary based on the size of the pack, so the actual interior volume is 38L (small), 41L (medium), or 44L (large). That assumes you have closed the pack via the minimum of two folds in the roll top.
The Kakwa 40 is the complete package for a lightweight or ultralight hiker who will find they can hike from 2-8 days depending on how compact their gear is. However, it is not ideal for hikers with heavier baseweights and bulkier loads since you will need a larger pack (we hope to offer a 55L version in 2023). On the other end of the spectrum, hikers with extremely light baseweights and preferring shorter hikes will find the Kakwa 40 excessive for their needs and will be better served by a frameless pack.
The Ultra 200 material is 100% waterproof with an impenetrable plastic backing on the Ultra 200 fabric that is much more durable than traditional PU coatings. We think it is functionally waterproof since the fabric is waterproof and the roll top closure keeps out water, but trace amounts of water can get in via the seams which are not taped. We do not tape the seams partly because bound seams are stronger, but also because our more capable frame requires seams that are too complex to be seam taped (e.g. many layers of material sewn into the seams). You will only find seam taped packs with frameless or more rudimentary frame designs. If you would like to take your pack from extremely water resistant to truly waterproof, we recommend seam sealing the pack.
Kakwa 40 Warranty Info
All Durston Gear products are trail tested, refined, and perfected over time, but please be mindful that every product has a useful lifecycle. The lifecycle of your Kakwa backpack will depend on maintenance, amount, and type of use over time, and storage conditions. The Kakwa 40 is guaranteed to be free of material and manufacturing defects and covered for a full year from date of shipment for the original purchaser only. If your pack fails due to a manufacturing or material defect, you may request service under this warranty.
To initiate a warranty request, please submit the form through the following link: